Skip to main content

tv   State of the Union  CNN  February 28, 2010 11:00pm-12:00am EST

11:00 pm
elected." "many heads are upset that obama started transparency in the white house. thank god. hard job. he's done it." then somebody says happy birthday, don. thank you very much. it's tomorrow. i really appreciate it. and i appreciate you watching. thanks for watching us, everybody. i'll see you back here next weekend at 6:00, 7:00, and 10:00 p.m. eastern. thanks for watching. thanks for watching. have a great night. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com one president. 17 republicans. 21 democrats. there was bipartisan civility. there was bipartisan annoyance. even no-drama obama couldn't hide frequent bouts of frustration. people argue about who won the day but no one argues all those lawmakers and all those hours added up to no bipartisan agreement. it looks like the democrats will go it alone if they can. a big if. i'm candy crowley, and this is "state of the union." >> the bill can be bipartisan
11:01 pm
even though the votes might not be bipartisan. >> house speaker nancy pelosi on the way forward as democrats try to pass health care reform without republicans. >> you know from the polling that's been done in this country how the american people feel. we know how they feel about this. this is not a close call. >> senate minority leader mitch mcconnell on the cost of saying no. plus, two reporters examine this latest health care stand-off and what it mean for your family's future. you won't find many americans who could or would sit and watch a policy debate for seven hours. so to set the stage for our guests today here's seven hours in two minutes. >> i'd like to make sure that this discussion is actually a discussion and not just us trading talking points. and we'll just open it up and start back here. all right. >> we believe we have a better idea. >> this bill is not only about the health security of america. it's about jobs. >> health reform shouldn't be about political parties fighting
11:02 pm
each other. >> we have to start by taking the current bill and putting it on the shelf and starting from a clean sheet of paper. >> let's start with a clean sheet of paper. >> start over with a blank piece of paper. >> both of us during the campaign promised change in washington. unfortunately, this product was not produced in that fashion. >> let me just guess. that's the 2,400-page health care bill. >> this 2,700-page bill will bankrupt our country. >> i don't really think someone sick in the emergency room is concerned about the size of the bill. >> you don't do comprehensive well. >> better approach is to go step by step. >> to go step by step. >> to go step by step. >> an incremental approach is like a swimmer who's 50 feet offshore drowning and you throw him a 10-foot rope. >> there actually is some significant agreement. >> we're not really that far apart. >> frankly, we may be closer together than people really think. >> we agree with most of them. >> there's a lot of agreement. >> we agree with that.
11:03 pm
>> we don't agree with that. >> vehemently posed to this. >> fundamental differences. >> structural differences. >> we don't care for this bill. i think you know that. >> is there enough serious effort that in a month's time or a few weeks' time or six weeks' time we could actually resolve something? and if we can't, then i think we've got to go ahead and make some decisions and then that's what elections are for. >> the president will announce this week what the white house calls the way forward. he's expected to incorporate some republican ideas into the health care plan written by democrats. unless there are significant changes it is pretty clear democrats will go forward by themselves. and the woman who has to make that happen is the house speaker, nancy pelosi. we spoke in her capitol office. >> first of all, thank you so much for joining us. >> my pleasure. congratulations to you. >> thank you. thank you. i want to ask you the first post-summit question that i have gotten and many of them since.
11:04 pm
what now? >> what now? we go from here to -- we are focused on substance. the president has put forth on the internet what he thinks is the best house and senate and remind you that they have -- those bills have over 100 republican amendments in them. and then some of his own ideas. after listening yesterday -- on thursday at summit. now we'll see what other ideas we can expand to, taking some of the republican suggestions if that works for the american people. and when we have the substance, then we'll see where we go from there. but right now it's about policy. >> i want to play you something that happened yesterday and just ask you a question about the next step in the procedure. >> i expect all of you are experts on what the people in your districts think. they have followed this debate like no other.
11:05 pm
and they have rendered a judgment about what we have attempted to do so far. the solution to that is to put that on the shelf and to start over with a blank piece of paper and go step by step to see what we can agree on. >> so let's get real here. you're not going to get republican support for this bill. you may, as you say, have republican amendments in there but you're not going to get it. so it comes down to you and what can you do. right now if you had to vote on the parameters of the president's bill, do you have the votes? >> well, we don't have the -- we don't have the substance of our bill yet. when we have the bill, we'll see what the senate can do, and then the house will act upon that. but let me just say that yesterday was the bookend. one year ago, march 5th, the president had a summit, a bipartisan summit, we all were hopeful we could come to consensus. and at that time we were advocating a public option as the president said at the time to keep the insurance companies
11:06 pm
honest and to increase competition, which would be good for the consumer. a year later we are closer to what republicans were suggesting at that time, an exchange and not a public option. so this legislation has accommodated many of their views. even though we may not get their votes. it accommodates many of their views. >> but has it accommodated too much? and i ask you this. on the abortion language that's in the senate, which is pretty much mirrored by the president's proposal, you've signaled a couple of times you can live with that, but you know that you have congressman stupak and others who can't live with that. which cuts into your ability to get together a majority, doesn't it? >> i don't like the senate language because i'm pro choice. and -- but it meets the test. and the test is our law says there is no federal funding of abortion and we will not have it in this bill. any representation to the contrary is not a fact. secondly, that will not diminish
11:07 pm
or increase the opportunity for abortion. and this bill does not do that. third, we are going to pass a health care bill. so that the -- the compromise language in the -- the language in the senate bill i don't think makes everybody happy. but the fact is that it honors those principles of no federal funding of abortion and no expansion or diminution of abortion rights, and it moves us towards passing the bill. >> but you will lose some democrats on that language if it stays the way it is. >> well, we'll see what the substance is. you know, there are many aspects to this legislation. this is -- this bill is not about abortion. this bill is, you know, innovation and prevention and it is about all kinds of things that are very positive as we go forward. quality health care for many more americans. holding the insurance companies accountable. it's -- when the public sees what is in this bill, because
11:08 pm
they by and large approve of each of the provisions. and when we show them what the priorities are now that they've been boiled down to, this is a much smaller bill than we started with. what it's been boiled down to, what it means to them as they sit around their kitchen table rather than us sitting around a table at blair house. i think that we'll have a very positive result. and it will be great for the american people. >> but you know because you've heard from some of these house members, i'm sure, who come to you and say i can't live with this or i'm getting nailed back in my district for this, that it's going to be a bit of a chore, isn't it, to bring both the left and the moderate side of your party together for this. >> candy, every bill here is a heavy lift. every bill is a heavy lift. there hasn't been one easy vote. >> would you vote for the president's outline of the bill right now as he put out on the internet? would you vote for it? >> well, what we -- i like what the president has done. i want to make sure that we have
11:09 pm
-- we have three criteria for us in the house. affordability for the middle class. and i think we can do a little better on affordability. i don't know. we have to examine the language very carefully. and accountability with the insurance companies and the president is very good on that. and accessibility to many more people. and he certainly is there. so we just want to make sure the affordability language is as strong as it needs to be. but let me say what you i think was important about yesterday in relationship to your question. yesterday it became clear that the democrats and the president were for holding the insurance companies accountable for more regulation of the insurance companies. left to their own devices they had behaved very poorly and hurt the american people. and the republicans are not. >> let me ask you about bipartisanship. because a lot of people did look
11:10 pm
at the thursday bipartisan summit and say well, why do they do this a long time ago? while they did meet, it wasn't like this. and now it is really pretty much too late. they can amend -- why didn't you at the very beginning say come on in here, congressman boehner, congressman pence, say where do we start on health care? not to kind of present a package and say we will amend it. >> that isn't the way it happened. the president called us together march 5th and we left the room hopeful and went into the legislative process. hundreds of hours of bill writing and the rest where the republicans made their suggestions. we know that one of the reasons we didn't have a bill in the fall was because the president wanted to give the senate more time to arrive at bipartisanship in the senate bill, which he thought might be possible then. the house had said right from the start they were never going to vote for any bill. but he thought there were prospects in the senate. so what we've had is the year of trying to strive for bipartisan hip.
11:11 pm
as i say, over 100 republican amendments in the bill and the republicans placed their own bill on the house floor, which insures 3 million. ours insures 30 million. we have a different value system here but they have had plenty of opportunity to make their voices heard, and if they wanted to truly have -- bipartisanship is a two-way street. but let me say this. the bill can be bipartisan even though the votes might not be bipartisan. because they are -- they have made their imprint on this. as i say, we were all for public option. we're now going with the republican idea, an exchange. that's a very big -- very -- >> but a lot of democrats were against the public option too on the senate side. >> not a lot. the insurance companies -- the insurance industry was against the public option. the insurance industry was against the public option. in any event, there is no public option on the table now. >> when you -- we looked at our polling numbers just from
11:12 pm
yesterday, we had almost 3/4 of americans who said they need to drop this bill, just stop talking about health care and move on to something else, or they need to start new. so don't the republicans have a point? >> their point is that we have a responsibility here. and the republicans have had a field day going out there and misrepresenting what's in the bill. but that's what they do. >> so it's been a -- you don't think people understand the bill? >> no. there isn't a bill. when we have a bill, which we will in a matter of days, then that is the bill we can sell. our bill, the house and senate bill, had some major differences which we're hoping now to reconcile. and then when we have a bill -- as i say, you can bake the pie. you can sell the pie. but you have to have a pie to sell. and when we do, we will take it out there. i feel very confident about what's in there. because if you are -- if you're concerned about having access to health care, as most americans are around their kitchen tables, then they will have access to health care.
11:13 pm
>> let me talk politics one more time. and this comes from that health care summit as well. take a listen. >> we do not agree about the fundamental question of who should be mostly in charge. and you identified this question as central. do you trust the states or do you trust washington? do you trust patients and doctors making the decision or do you trust washington? >> bottom line, that's a good message in an election year, that you know, i know you'll argue with this is not about a government takeover, but just the message itself. at a time when people are quite angry with washington, the populist message, the message of a big government takeover. we are now looking at a political situation that we weren't looking at a year ago. the possibility that's been out there that perhaps you won't be speaker after next november, perhaps there will be a republican takeover. how likely is that, and why is that? >> well, first let me address the comment that was made there. this is about a doctor and patient making a decision or
11:14 pm
washington. that's not the choice. right now the choice is a doctor and patient making a decision or the insurance company making the decision. and we are saying the doctor and patient should make the decision and the insurance company should not come between that. that's what this is about. it's about regulating the insurance company and their role in all of this. our members have a proud record of achievement starting with the recovery package last year, which created jobs in their district. the first bill to -- if you're a woman to end discrimination in the workplace. if you're a child to have access to quality health care. the list goes on and on. >> do you think that you'll lose seats? >> well, the election isn't today. let me just say it this way. the democrats will retain the majority in the house of representatives. we have a huge -- we have, what, 54, 55-vote majority. we had a swing in the last two elections of 110 seats. i'm not yielding one grain of sand.
11:15 pm
we're fighting for every seat. but we are ready. and in the past when there have been these swings it's been when people have not been ready. we've won our elections. we've won our special elections. we just recently took a seat that had never been democratic since it was created at the time of the civil war. so democrats are ready. we're confident about what we have done for the american people. we have to get out -- we've been working hard. now we have to go out. we said we were going to do certain things. we did them. now we have to go talk about what we have done. but it is -- we inherited a terrible mess from the bush administration of failed economic policies. so we have, now that we're in charge, fully in charge, we have to create jobs. that's a four-letter word. we use it around here all the time. jobs, jobs, jobs, jobs. provide access to quality health care for all americans. and stabilize the economy so that we don't have these swings. i'm very proud of our members. we have a very, very diverse
11:16 pm
caucus. and that's the beauty of it. i say the beauty is in the mix. we respect the views that they all bring to the table. we bring our consensus, and soon that consensus will result in quality affordable health care for all americans and more job creation. >> and like the president said thursday, that's what elections are all about. thank you so much, madam speaker. i really appreciate it. >> my pleasure. thank you. >> when we come back, we'll be joined by the man spearheading the republican effort, senate minority leader mitch mcconnell. my muscles feel like they've been pounded...
11:17 pm
my muscles just ache... ..all over my body... ...it just doesn't go away. it's so baffling. (announcer) does this sound like the pain you've been experiencing? this is fibromyalgia. chronic, widespread pain and tenderness that affects millions. sometimes i need a hug... ...but i know it's gonna hurt... (announcer) there is hope. understanding your pain... ...is the first step to treating it. talk to your doctor and visit fibrocenter.com for answers and support. [ male announcer ] it is, the most advanced automobile we have ever created. a car that can help awaken its driver if he begins to doze. keep him in his lane if he starts to wander. even stop itself... if he becomes distracted. if you want to see the future of the automobile, look at where the e-class is...today. this is the 9th generation e-class. this...is mercedes-benz. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial.
11:18 pm
11:19 pm
the republican message of president obama on health care, start over. but the president is signaling that's not going to happen. joining us now from his home
11:20 pm
state of kentucky is the senate's top republican, senator mitch mcconnell. senator, thank you so much for joining us. >> good morning and congratulations, candy, on taking over the show. >> thank you very much. let me start with your ending position after the summit, and that is start over again. short of that, is there any way the president can reconfigure this bill that would get your support? >> i don't think so, candy. i mean, that is a massive overhaul of 1/6 of the economy. republicans just don't believe that a half a trillion dollars in medicare cuts and a half a trillion dollars in new taxes and possibly higher insurance premiums for all of those on the individual market is the definition of reform. we had a chance thursday actually to display some of our brightest, most knowledgeable republicans. i thought it was actually very good for us. because it certainly refuted the notion that the republicans are not interested in the subject
11:21 pm
and not knowledgeable about it and don't have alternatives. and we laid out a number of different things that we think will make a lot more sense to go step by step to fix the cost problem and also it is important to remember the american people do no want this bill. they have paid a lot of attention to this issue. they have focused on it like a laser for months. but surveys are -- >> if you took something like malpractice reform which you all had really wanted to put in there in a real form rather than just pilot programs here and there, suppose the president said fine, let's have something meaningful in malpractice reform, we will put it in this bill. that's not enough to win republican votes? i mean, you're still in the minority. you can't write the bills. people voted for democrats. why not just get as much as you can into it and vote for it? >> well, that would be great. but that's not enough to compensate for this massive government takeover of the u.s. health care system.
11:22 pm
it's just simply not a symmetrical trade-off, if you will. that would be a step in the right direction, but i don't think that that alone is going to -- >> so you see a -- >> we think we need to start over, candy. >> i understand. so you see, since he's not going to start over, it's done, it's going to come up, all the republicans are going to vote no on the senate side? >> yeah, i think that's right. and i think they will pursue the parliamentary device called reconciliation, which in effect, as senator byrd, who wrote the budget law and who had something to say about the use of this device within the last year, he said it would be an outrage that must be resisted. and why did he say that, candy? he said it because you would have an unelected official, the senate parliamentarian appointed by the majority basically determining what american health care is going to look like. and that's why senator byrd had
11:23 pm
that severe reaction to using this particular approach on this kind of massive restructuring of american society. >> he did, senator. but i just want to -- i know you've heard this argument. i want to point something out to our viewers, and that is since 1980 there have been 16 times a reconciliation was used under a republican-controlled senate, and there were 6 times under a democrat-controlled senate. so it's not all that unusual. the minority always hates it because it takes away their filibuster power. but these were not just budget issues. this was welfare reform. these were the bush tax cuts. these were things like that. and you voted for reconciliation. so you know, beyond that, if we could get to the issue of what can you do, you're going to vote no, but are there things within the parameters that the democrats seem to be willing to go for reconciliation, is there something that you all can do in that process to either slow this down or stop it?
11:24 pm
>> well, let's talk about the fairness of it. just because it's been used before for lesser issues doesn't mean it's appropriate for this issue. you had senator byrd himself, the president pro tem of the senate, the former democratic majority leader, saying within the last year to use this device for something like health care would be an outrage which must be resisted. that's a democratic, candy. that's not republicans. there are a number of other democrats who did not think something of this magnitude ought to be jammed down the throats of a public that doesn't want it through this kind of device. >> you heard the speaker say, i think, that she thinks that this is basically in how it's been sold, that you all have gone out there and sold this as something as a huge government takeover, which it's not, that you've talked about how this is going to make the government the doctor. do you think that this has been a good sales job on your part, and might it just be that if americans find after they use
11:25 pm
whatever process is going to be used to get this passed, they may find that they like not having the insurance companies, for instance, being able to throw them off when they get sick or to say okay, you've already gotten as much insurance as you can and you're capped out? aren't americans going to like that? i mean, there are many desperate americans, i know you hear them all the time when you go home. >> well, many of these insurance reforms we could pass on a bipartisan basis. but you wouldn't have to cut medicare by half a trillion dollars, levy a half a trillion-dollar tax increase. put that on the side and let's talk about insurance reform. and legal reform, getting rid of junk lawsuits against doctors and hospitals. those are the kinds of step-by-step reforms that we've been talking about. and by the way, on this process of reconciliation, gallup asked the american people how they felt about it, asked the question in a very balanced way, and the results were just out a couple of days ago. the american people do not want
11:26 pm
us to use that kind of parliamentary device to jam this down their throats. >> can we -- i want to talk about the political calculation in a second, but i just want to go back to one question, and that is is there something within reconciliation, which it does appear is going to happen despite the objections of the majority and some democrats, that it will happen, is there something within that process that you can do? >> well, it won't surprise you to know that i wouldn't want to lay out in advance the various approaches that might be taken to prevent that from happening. but you know, i think in washington they want to portray this as an argument between republicans and democrats. actually, candy, this is an argument between the democrats and the american people. we know the american people oppose this bill. they oppose using reconciliation to pass this bill. so this is really the democratic majority and frankly a kind of
11:27 pm
arrogant way of saying we're smarter than you are, americans, we're going to give this to you whether you want it or not. >> given -- you've mentioned the polls a couple of times, that news media lives and breathes on polls. and they're always important. but one of the calculations here when people are looking at this, the critics of the republican party say the reason they're doing this is they have looked at those polls and they don't want to give the president a break. they don't want to move forward for this country because they believe this is an issue that's going to win them seats in november. dissuade me of that. >> look, this is not about the president. this is about america's health care. this is not about the democrats even. it's about the american people. and they have followed this issue, candy, like no other. i don't think everything we do ought to be poll driven. but we've had a six-month, very detailed debate about this is e issue. 300 million americans,
11:28 pm
regardless of age, care about their health. they have really followed this like no other issue. they know what's going on. they do not want this package. and the majority is basically saying to the american people, we're smarter than you are. you sort of sit down and shut up and get out of the way, we're going to give this to you whether we want it or not. >> senator, let me ask you a couple political questions in our closing minutes. the first is do you think you're going to pick up senate seats this november? how many? >> oh, gosh, who knows what the environment will be like in november? obviously, we're optimistic. i think the elections in virginia and new jersey and particularly massachusetts were encouraging. but in the meantime we need to be doing the people's business and not trying to predict what the environment may be in november. if the election were today, we'd have a very good day. >> and let me ask you about the tea party, which is -- that republicans are trying to embrace, but it's proving difficult because in some races,
11:29 pm
in senate races as well as house races, sitting congressmen and senators are being challenged on the right from the tea party. do you think that the tea party helps the republicans in every case? >> i do. i think it's going to be -- it's an indication of the energy out in the country. a lot of people principally driven by this outrageous federal debt that we have are energized and want to change the country. most of them are going to be participating in republican primary. those primaries will determine who our nominees are in the fall. and then i think that energy will be beneficial to us. yes, i do. >> senator mitch mcconnell coming to us from his home state of kentucky. thank you so much for joining us. i hope you'll come back. >> thank you. >> up next we're going to get some perspective from two terrific journalists who have been closely following this whole debate on health care. we will ask them how things are likely to pan out. and most importantly, what it all means for you. hi, folks. how are you doing?
11:30 pm
i'm out here talking about osteoporosis. with osteoporosis, you can still look and feel healthy. i know. that's me. on the inside, your bones can weaken over time, making you vulnerable to fracture. what can she do? ask your doctor how to help treat osteoporosis p9with once-a-month actonel. actonel is clinically proven to help reverse bone loss and can help increase bone strength to help prevent fractures. do not take actonel if you have low blood calcium, severe kidney disease, or cannot sit or stand for 30 minutes. follow all dosing instructions. stop taking actonel and tell your doctor if you experience difficult or painful swallowing, chest pain, or severe or continuing heartburn. these may be signs of serious upper digestive problems. promptly tell your doctor if you develop severe bone, joint, or muscle pain, or develop dental problems as serious jawbone problems have been reported rarely. to get a free trial offer of once-a-month actonel, visit actonel.com and ask your doctor how once-a-month actonel can help you reverse bone loss.
11:31 pm
this is not more benefits at greater cost to your company insurance. this is not how does it fit in my company's budget insurance. this is help protect and care for your employees at no cost to your company insurance. with aflac, your employees pay only for the coverage they want or need. and, the cost to you - nothing at all. if all you know about us is... aflac! ...then you don't know quack. to find out why more businesses provide aflac, visit getquack.com there's a big reason to lower high cholesterol...
11:32 pm
dangerous plaque that can build up in arteries. it's called atherosclerosis--or athero. and high cholesterol is a major factor. but crestor can help slow the buildup of plaque in arteries. go to arterytour.com and take an interactive tour to learn how plaque builds up. and then ask your doctor if crestor is right for you. along with diet, crestor does more than lower bad cholesterol and raise good. crestor is proven to slow the buildup of plaque in arteries. crestor isn't for everyone, like people with liver disease, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant. simple blood tests will check for liver problems. you should tell your doctor about other medicines you're taking or if you have muscle pain or weakness. that could be a sign of serious side effects. learn more about plaque buildup at arterytour.com. then ask your doctor if it's time for crestor. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
11:33 pm
cc time for a tune-up? come to meineke now for maintenance tune-ups... starting at $39.95. at meineke, you're always the driver. joining us now to discuss the next step in the health care battle in washington and what it means for you and your family, cici connelly is the lead health care reporter for the "washington post."
11:34 pm
amy walter, editor in chief of the hotline. thanks to you both. i'm glad you're here. >> thank you. >> so let me just ask the next question because i think people out there are going reconciliation means they're fighting? i think it has this whole backwards feel to it. so the most simplistic terms you can give-u what happens next? >> well, if they proceed with this thing called reconciliation, it means that they would only need a simple majority, which is important in the senate. instead of the 60 votes to pass a filibuster, you'd only need a 51. this reconciliation would be -- think of it as the fixes. so in other words, the things that the house members don't like in the senate bill, and they've been doing some negotiating on, this little reconciliation, some people call it a sidecar, would be the fixes to that. so it won't be the entire health care bill, but it would be many significant changes from what we've seen so far. and even though everybody says simple majority, as you well know, candy, it ain't simple. >> and it's not simple in the house, either.
11:35 pm
>> that's exactly right. >> i think i asked six ways from sunday, do you have the votes, do you have the vote, but the house speaker says they're working on the substance. do they have the votes? >> well, i mean, i have to say she deserves a tremendous amount of credit for getting the bill through the house in the first place, and she was right when she said we haven't had aenzy vote yet, right? when you think about the energy bill and all of the stuff that's been pushed through that's been very difficult. the environment now is obviously even worse than it was in november. a lot of these members are getting polls back now for the first time, and seeing what -- how health care is polling in their district, how their own re-election looks in their district. things are not any better. and the problem with reconciliation, of course, is -- and this is what i hear from a lot of members. is the policy piece, we can do all these fix-its, but the fact is it will be overwrought by the process story, that you had to do all these deals and side deals and et cetera to get it done, and it just looks like why
11:36 pm
should we trust you in the first place because you had to go through all these hoops to -- >> i'm a little bit of two minds on that, candy. on the one hand, i think that it is possible that it will play into an already strong sentiment out there that washington is sort of in the back rooms cutting dirty deals. on the other hand, we all know this process has been used for many other pretty significant pieces of legislation, tax policy, the medicare prescription drug benefit. so it's not unheard of. but it may just fuel that already frustration out there. >> let me play you something just on an -- i think it's part of why we see swings in the public opinion about this health care bill. this is from thursday's summit. >> the congressional budget office report says that premiums will rise in the individual market as a result of the senate bill. >> no, no. let me -- and this is an example of where we've got to get our facts straight. here's what the congressional budget office says.
11:37 pm
the costs for families for the same type of coverage as they're currently receiving would go down 14% to 20%. >> i think this is why people just want to tear their hair out when they listen to washington. and then all the fact checks came out and said, well, they're both right. so having studied this, and you're so all over this, explain this. >> well, and you're not going to like me because there is a little bit of truth in both of these arguments. here's the bottom line. this is total guesswork. when you're talking about reshaping 1/6 of the u.s. economy, which is what the u.s. health system is, you're guessing. the congressional budget office does its best at modeling. what we do know is that under most of these bills there is a belief that this terrible growth rate, it's been double-digit increases for a lot of years, would really be slowed down. they'd start to rein in some of those big increases. that if you're an individual who
11:38 pm
has to go out and shop around for your own health insurance, a, it would be easier and it probably would be more affordable. but there are many americans that would definitely be looking at higher health care bills. there's almost no way around that. >> and that's the political problem, right? but that we can say, all right, the process piece could go away. right? if by november we all woke up and said isn't this great that a health care bill was passed because now i can do all of these things that i couldn't do before. there's not going to be an immediate benefit to this process, even if a bill is passed tomorrow. so it's going to take that amount of time for these things that you say are -- well, we don't really know exactly what it's going to look like. to play themselves out. that could help the president if things look better by 2012. certainly for members of congress who are on the line in november that's not so easy. >> this is amy walter. this is ceci connolly. we're going to be back with both of them right after this. [ male announcer ] this is nine generations
11:39 pm
of the world's most revered luxury sedan. this is a history of over 50,000 crash-tested cars. this is the world record for longevity... and one of the most technologically advanced automobiles on the planet. this is the 9th generation e-class. this is mercedes-benz. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial.
11:40 pm
11:41 pm
11:42 pm
we are talking with ceci connolly of the "washington post" and "hotline" editor-in-chief amy walter. all over the hill this week all i heard was if it's not done by easter it's not getting done. >> well, and that's a reflection of we know congress, first of all, they always need deadlines.
11:43 pm
but in the case of this health care debate they've blown every single deadline. and by easter break they have got to be focused 100% on their re-election campaigns. i think, though, from a policy perspective and somebody who's been looking at our health care system for a number of years now there's a real sense that if it doesn't happen this year it will be another 15 years before we return to this very difficult subject, and these problems, president obama is right when he says they're not going to go away. >> what do you think politically? don't you think they have to turn back to jobs? that's another thing i hear is people go home and they're hearing about high unemployment and -- >> right. so this is the conundrum that they're in. they say, all right-f we don't get it done then we go another generation before we get a health care bill. but we've spent a year doing this and not talking about jobs and the economy. and so we're going to get hit for it whether we pass it or we don't because we either wasted too much time not talking about jobs and not passing something or we pass something and then we get attacked for the sub --
11:44 pm
maybe not even the substance but the fact of the process of this bill. it's sort of a lose-lose situation. there are a lot of democrats that i talk to that say we're going to get hit anyway, let's at least get some policy completed, make this vote, and then move forward and be able to talk about jobs and the economy. >> would it be your bet they're going to have to bring this down to a smaller bill than what they've got now? >> there's a distinct possibility of that. again, from the nerdy policy wonk perspective, health care gets tricky because there are so many interlocking pieces. and when you do one little thing, it has an impact on others. so small gets a little tricky. but there are certainly people that are thinking through smaller versions. >> we call that the knee bone connected to the thigh bone theory of putting health care policy together. i want to show you a couple of polls that we have just out. one of them the question was do most members of donation deserve to be re-elected? 34% of americans said sure, most of them deserve to be re-elected. 63% said no. but look at this. does your member of congress deserve to be re-elected?
11:45 pm
well, 51% said yes. i wouldn't say that's overwhelming. and we see that all the time. that your guy is better than all those other guys. but 51%, if you're a democrat and you're an incumbent, and most of the democrats are incumbents up for re-election. trouble. >> and this is spread over nationally. let's take that number of does your own member deserve to be re-elected in a swing district as opposed to very safe democratic district? and that number's probably going to be upside down, 44% re-elect, 51% not. the frustration goes beyond just the individual candidates. it's the whole body itself, right? unfortunately, for democrats they run the place. so i know there's a lot of talk now from democrats. i heard speak pelosi say that. that republicans would have to come forward and show us their ideas. this anti-incumbent sentiment somehow is going to spread between -- you know, to republicans as well as
11:46 pm
democrats, but we all know that it's democrats and the voters know that it's democrats who control the place. so this really will come down on them more so than the republican party. >> and amy's the expert on this, but i suspect there are going to be more retirements still to come this year as well. a lot of them are just kind of fed up or they're in fear, right? >> and that's what they see these numbers coming back, and it's funny, we're seeing a lot of retirements, too, from republicans, which is interesting because you'd think, boy, not that long ago when you told the party out of power that hey, we have a chance to get back into the majority, that would keep them from leaving. right? that was going to be a great incentive. and now you're seeing just as many republicans saying it's not very fun to be here as democrats who are saying it's not worth it to go through another election. so this place feels for a lot of members like it's just not worth coming back, whether they're majority or the minority. >> you know, i have some friends that think if a health care bill is passed the president's numbers will go up, congress's numbers will go up, because they've done something. the whole idea is what are they
11:47 pm
doing? and then i have others who go oh, yeah, please, let's pass this thing and see what happens to the numbers. do you have a sense of that at all? >> i think it's tricky. but listen, you always like to have a bill-signing ceremony with all of the hoopla. you certainly like to be talking about something that you've done as opposed to wasting an entire year on. the other thing is if they pass a bill that provides health insurance to 30 million americans, that's a big deal. we keep forgetting that. but that's a big deal to those people and a lot of other people out there right now who don't have health insurance. and i do think that the white house is pretty savvy about being able to go out and sell some of those things. >> they are. but how soon does that kick in? >> oh. >> it's going to take a little while. absolutely. >> are we talking about more than a year? >> absolutely. it could take a period of a few years. but at least they would be talking about something positive as opposed to this interminable reconciliation, cutting deals,
11:48 pm
compromising, whatever it is. >> in the end is the figure that matters the most the unemployment figure? >> it is the figure that matters the most. i mean, the fact is the voters have been saying since 2008 the economy is the number one issue that they want congress to tackle. and i know that there are a lot of democrats who say look, if this unemployment number goes down the prospects for democrats holding on to the majority in the house goes up. and that may be fair. and that it will boost the president's approval rating too. but the bottom line goes back to that first number that you showed us. what do we think about members of congress? the whole place itself is so tainted right now that i don't even know that members of quongs a congress are going to get credit for any of this. fine, things may be better but it's not because of you, it's because of everything else that happened. sow get the sense they could come up with the cure for cancer right now and they wouldn't get credit for it. >> real quick question for you both. i said to nancy pelosi it's possible you could not be speaker. i wanted to see what she'd say. do you think it's possible? >> long shot is my guess. >> it's possible.
11:49 pm
>> thanks very much. amy walter and ceci connolly, appreciate it so much. up next in our "american dispatch" a fresh take on what unfolded at the health care summit from president obama himself. and this without him speaking a word.
11:50 pm
11:51 pm
you go next if you had a hoveround power chair? the statue of liberty? the grand canyon? it's all possible with a hoveround. tom: hi i'm tom kruse, inventor and founder of hoveround. when we say you're free to see the world, we mean it. call today and get a free hoveround information kit that includes a video and full color brochure. dennis celorie: "it's by far the best chair i've ever owned." and if you qualify, get it for little or no money. jim plunkitt: "no cost. absolutely no cost to me." breaking news...when you call today, we'll include
11:52 pm
a free hoveround collapsible grabber with the purchase of your power chair. it reaches, it grabs, it's collapsible and it's portable. it goes wherever you go. get it free while supplies last. tom - declare your independence. call now; you'll be glad you did! call the number on your screen to get your free video, brochure and your free hoveround collapsible grabber. call the number on your screen. last wook i was in the studio where there was a camera
11:53 pm
focused only on the president as republicans make their point. we wanted to share. >> between 8 million and 9 million people may very well lose the coverage that they have, because of this, because of the construct of this bill. >> for the first time in 30 years, taxpayer funding of abortions. what we've been saying for a long time is, let's scrap the bill. >> what is the consequence of that? we know there are consequences that small businesses will feel because of the impact on job creation. >> both bills hit small business with higher tax rate. the house bill by 33% and senate bill by 20 zrs all we're saying is that is not a face that
11:54 pm
should play poker any time soon. whether you saw it or heard it, the days of concerns are drawing short. the president will likely make a statement about the next step forward. still ahead, the toyota congressional hearings and the failure to communicate. first let's get a check of the evening's headlines. i'm don lemon. rescue teams are searching frantly for survivors in the massive earthquake in chile. complicating rescue efforts throughout the day, more than 90 aftershocks measuring 4.9 or stronger. chile has requested u.s. medical help and communication assistance, including a satellite phone. the senate second-ranking republican expects lawmakers to extend unemployment benefits this week. those are set to expire on monday for millions of americans. the senate thus far has failed
11:55 pm
to pass an extension for those that have a lifeline. on sunday, family and friends remember the young whale trainer killed at sea world and a whale a pony tail i'm cnn i'm don lemon. ut the strength of the steel? the integrity of its design... or how it responds... in extreme situations? the deeper you look, the more you see the real differences. and the more you understand what it means to own a mercedes-benz. the c-class. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for special offers through mercedes-benz financial. ♪
11:56 pm
11:57 pm
11:58 pm
11:59 pm
before we go, the other big story this week, toyota hearings. even though he'd be speaking in japanese, he was requested to speak at the hearings. they wanted to know why there wasn't a brake override system in all toyotas and dissatisfied with the answer that he was getting from the translator. >> yes or no. that's what i'm trying to get to. a yes or no. >> japanese ceos aren't used to testifying before congress. it makes more than japanese-english translation to
left
right